Saturday, February 19, 2011

Adventures in Tech

This week I:

  • Started a Facebook for Immanuel Fellowship
  • Read up on the ins and outs of Facebooking for organizations
  • Linked the Facebook to our church website (Harder than it sounds for a semi-tech, I had to get my Grandma to help me.  Yes, my Grandma.)
  • Put lots of photos on our Facebook.
  • Read up on podcasting, starting from near-zero knowledge.
  • Downloaded a podcasting platform, MediaCore, only to discover that it was not exactly made with windows in mind.
  • Removed this platform.
  • Signed up for a much easier, no-download-required podcasting platform called PodBean.
  • Got our PodBean all set up and ready for Sunday's message.
  • Began to look for tutorials on how to record both the English message and the Spanish translation simultaneously in Audacity with only one mic jack.
  • When tutorials on this subject turned out to be hard to find, I called the sound guy who already knew how this is done in Audacity.
  • Thanked the sound man for saving me hours of work trying to figure it out myself.
I didn't know that I had all these things to figure out until Tuesday afternoon.  It needed to be done by this Sunday, because of our up-coming week of prayer and fasting.  The short notice is the result of having these perfect (yes perfect, they solve many tech problems we've had) ideas suggested to us on Monday.

About midnight last night though, I hit a wall in everything.  I really thought there was no possible way that launching a facebook and a podcast were going to happen in the same short week.  So I went to bed and woke up with new solutions and ideas in my head.  They have worked, as far as I can tell.  We'll see Monday when I try to post it.  My job is never boring.

No comments: